Skip to main content

Burns in the Kitchen

Last night as I was cooking up some delicious fried chicken.. I was using a fork (will never do that again) to transfer a piece of breaded chicken to some hot oil. When.. PLOP! the chicken fell off the fork and splashed hot oil all over my hand. Now, anyone that has ever experienced an oil burn can relate... it effing sucks.
I immediately put my hand under cool water and started trying to wash the oil off. Blisters didn't form immediately, but about 15 minutes after I saw how bad the burn was. Now granted, this was a 2nd degree burn.. so it could have been worse, thank god it wasn't.
The pain was so bad that if I had my hand out of cold water or an ice pack for more than 10 minutes I felt shooting pain all the way up my arm. Now before you all think I am a huge baby, I am normally very pain tolerant. I have honestly never felt anything like an oil burn before.. and I can assure you.. I will never fry chicken without tongs again.



So, being the socialite that I am, I posted a picture of my epic burnt hand on Facebook. One of my friends, who is very into essential oils, told me to put some Lavender Oil on it. I have heard about people putting Lavender Oil on burns before but had never tried it. Luckily I had some from a ways back when I used it to help my son get to sleep at night. Well, I thought it was worth a shot and I put the Lavender Oil on my hand where I had gotten burned. It stung at first but then there was some temporary relief.
I was feeling doubtful that it was working because through the entire night if I didn't have an ice pack on my hand it felt like it was melting off. Needless to say.. I got very little sleep last night. Not only because of my hand, but because my 3 month old (3 months today!!!) kept on waking up to get fed, and my 2 year old thought it would be a great idea to wake up at 4:00 in the morning. So, eventually my amazing husband took my son off my hands and I was able to get about 2 maybe 3 hours of sleep.

My burnt hand last night before I went to bed. And the picture doesn't do it justice.. the flash washed out a lot of the red.. it looked much more lobstery. 

My hand this morning when i woke up!


When I woke up, to my surprise.. I could bend my fingers! and I could have the ice pack off of it without the feeling of burning evil on my hand. When I came into my living room I looked at it and saw how much of the redness had gone away, and it was amazing. I think the only thing that looked a little worse was the main blister, it was just slightly bigger.
So much of the pain is gone out of my hand, to say the least it is making me a happy camper today. Because last night I could hardly change a diaper without tears welling up in my eyes. I would highly highly suggest getting some Lavender Oil and keeping it in your kitchen or even just in your first aid kit. It works miracles on burns!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daddy's Sunday Pancakes

This is the recipe my dad used to make us all the time when we were younger. EVERY Sunday he would wake us up early and make us pancakes, eggs, and bacon. We get this special syrup from our family back in Maryland. I don't think they sell it anywhere in Utah. It's a shame.. because this is the worlds most amazing syrup.. I love love love it! My grandparents ship it out to us in boxes because we love it so much. It is definitely my favorite thing to top off the amazing pancakes. Anyways... the recipe! ☺ Ingredients: • 4 cups of flour • 6 tsp baking powder • 1 tsp salt • 2 Tbsp sugar • 4 eggs • 2 ½ cups of milk Instructions: 1. Mix everything together 2. Cook on a skillet or frying pan (whatever works) until bubbly. I find that cooking it on medium heat works best. And as soon as it is getting pretty bubbly just flip it! 3. Top it off with whatever pancake stuff you like and then eat! ENJOY! thanks for reading!

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Well, its St. Patricks day... so I decided to try my hand at making corned beef and cabbage. I have never made it before but I was very very pleasently surprised with how it turned out. Corned beef is one of my husbands absolute favorite foods, and he says the way I cooked it was the best he has ever had. I also liked it, especially for my first time ever eating it. Here is how its done! Ingredients: Package of corned beef (you can get it at Walmart, Harmons, Smiths, most grocery stores) Salt Water 1 head of cabbage Instructions: (Now to make your own corned beef from scratch it literally takes 7-10 days to cure.. so that is why I (and most people) buy it packaged.) Take your corned beef and trim off a little bit of the fat on top. Me and my husband both have texture issues.. and it didn't seem to affect how moist the meat was. And honestly you can skip this step if it seems like too much of a pain, all the fat dissolved off anyways. Take a rack (I used a co...

Lemon Sugar Cookies

These little babies are slightly crispy on the outside, perfectly sweet, and are almost under baked in the middle, so it tastes like they are filled. SO GOOD! My family went crazy for these. The whole batch was gone within minutes. Today I decided that it might be fun to use our new clover cookie cutters for St. Patricks day. I couldn't find a sugar cookie recipe that I liked online, so I made up my own... and in the process discovered an AMAZING way to make lemon sugar cookies. These little babies are amazing. Now, this recipe can also be used as a roll out recipe for cookie cutters. But with the leftover dough I decided to roll them into balls and then roll them in powdered sugar.. OMG... So.. here is the recipe for both ways to do it. No joke.. you guys will love these. Makes about 40..ish cookies Ingredients: 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks) 1 ½ cups granulated sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract Zest from one lemon Juice from half of a lemon  3 ½ ...