Skip to main content

French Bread


So, my husband had been telling me how much he loves good bread and olive oil and how its hard to find a place that sells the good stuff anymore. Its usually soft instead of crisp on top and by the time you buy it, its no longer warm anyway. I decided I would try my hand at making some delicious french bread. I tried a couple different recipes and finally came up with my own perfect measurements for ingredients that made it just how I like it. It is super crunchy and flavorful on top, and soft and delicious in the middle.


This was literally all that was left of the loaf only an hour or so after it came out of the oven... DELICIOUS!  So.... here is how you make this little beauty. ☺

This makes 1 loaf
Ingredients:

  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 package yeast
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
  • 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 Tbsp water
Instructions:
  1. Take 1 cup of your flour, yeast, and salt and mix together with your warm water in a stand up mixer with the paddle attachment (I use a whisk to initially incorporate these first few ingredients, then the paddle attachment later for the rest of the stuff). Wait about 5-10 minutes until its nice and foamy from the yeast reacting. 
  2. Once its foamy, turn on your mixer and add your butter first, then the flour one spoonful at a time until it is all mixed together and pulling away from the sides. (There was still a bit of doughy stuff stuck to the edges of the bowl for me, but for the most part it was all clumped together in to one big thing ☺)
  3. Knead it until its pretty smooth for a couple minutes, but no longer than 5-8 minutes. (it will get too tough and be dense)
  4. Place in a bowl with a bit of olive oil on both sides so it stays moist. Place a wet towel over the bowl and let it rise until it has doubled in size. For me this took about an hour to an hour and a half.
  5. Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release all the air and knead a couple times, but again, not too much, you don't want it to be tough. 
  6. Lightly flour your surface for rolling. Now, instead of just forming the dough into a "log" you will roll it into a rectangle shape of about 7x12 inches... it doesn't have to be exact, but just a general rectangle shape, not rolled out too thin. Then, if you have used any flour on your dough so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin, or even if you haven't... lightly wet your hands and get the surface of the dough a tini bit wet so it will stick together. Now roll up your dough into the shape of a log. Use more water to seal the seam of the dough.
  7. Place the seam side down on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  8. Now, whisk together your egg whites and water and brush it over the top of your dough. cut 3 or 4 slits evenly across the log.
  9. Cover with a damp towel and let it rise again for 35 minutes.
  10. Once it has risen, brush again with the egg wash, and sprinkle a little bit of salt on the top for flavor.
  11. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, and then brush again with your egg wash, and if you would like sprinkle a tini bit more salt. Bake for 18-20 more minutes or until your bread is nice and golden brown on top. (look at the top picture for reference to color if you need to)
  12. Let cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes until you feel comfortable enough to cut or tear it up!
ENJOY!
My husband loves.. and I mean LOVES it when I make this bread. I hope you enjoy it as much as he, and the rest of us do here!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daddy's Sunday Pancakes

This is the recipe my dad used to make us all the time when we were younger. EVERY Sunday he would wake us up early and make us pancakes, eggs, and bacon. We get this special syrup from our family back in Maryland. I don't think they sell it anywhere in Utah. It's a shame.. because this is the worlds most amazing syrup.. I love love love it! My grandparents ship it out to us in boxes because we love it so much. It is definitely my favorite thing to top off the amazing pancakes. Anyways... the recipe! ☺ Ingredients: • 4 cups of flour • 6 tsp baking powder • 1 tsp salt • 2 Tbsp sugar • 4 eggs • 2 ½ cups of milk Instructions: 1. Mix everything together 2. Cook on a skillet or frying pan (whatever works) until bubbly. I find that cooking it on medium heat works best. And as soon as it is getting pretty bubbly just flip it! 3. Top it off with whatever pancake stuff you like and then eat! ENJOY! thanks for reading!

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Well, its St. Patricks day... so I decided to try my hand at making corned beef and cabbage. I have never made it before but I was very very pleasently surprised with how it turned out. Corned beef is one of my husbands absolute favorite foods, and he says the way I cooked it was the best he has ever had. I also liked it, especially for my first time ever eating it. Here is how its done! Ingredients: Package of corned beef (you can get it at Walmart, Harmons, Smiths, most grocery stores) Salt Water 1 head of cabbage Instructions: (Now to make your own corned beef from scratch it literally takes 7-10 days to cure.. so that is why I (and most people) buy it packaged.) Take your corned beef and trim off a little bit of the fat on top. Me and my husband both have texture issues.. and it didn't seem to affect how moist the meat was. And honestly you can skip this step if it seems like too much of a pain, all the fat dissolved off anyways. Take a rack (I used a co...

Lemon Sugar Cookies

These little babies are slightly crispy on the outside, perfectly sweet, and are almost under baked in the middle, so it tastes like they are filled. SO GOOD! My family went crazy for these. The whole batch was gone within minutes. Today I decided that it might be fun to use our new clover cookie cutters for St. Patricks day. I couldn't find a sugar cookie recipe that I liked online, so I made up my own... and in the process discovered an AMAZING way to make lemon sugar cookies. These little babies are amazing. Now, this recipe can also be used as a roll out recipe for cookie cutters. But with the leftover dough I decided to roll them into balls and then roll them in powdered sugar.. OMG... So.. here is the recipe for both ways to do it. No joke.. you guys will love these. Makes about 40..ish cookies Ingredients: 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks) 1 ½ cups granulated sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract Zest from one lemon Juice from half of a lemon  3 ½ ...