Skip to main content

Corned Beef and Cabbage


Well, its St. Patricks day... so I decided to try my hand at making corned beef and cabbage. I have never made it before but I was very very pleasently surprised with how it turned out.

Corned beef is one of my husbands absolute favorite foods, and he says the way I cooked it was the best he has ever had. I also liked it, especially for my first time ever eating it. Here is how its done!

Ingredients:

  • Package of corned beef (you can get it at Walmart, Harmons, Smiths, most grocery stores)
  • Salt
  • Water
  • 1 head of cabbage
Instructions:
(Now to make your own corned beef from scratch it literally takes 7-10 days to cure.. so that is why I (and most people) buy it packaged.)


  1. Take your corned beef and trim off a little bit of the fat on top. Me and my husband both have texture issues.. and it didn't seem to affect how moist the meat was. And honestly you can skip this step if it seems like too much of a pain, all the fat dissolved off anyways.
  2. Take a rack (I used a cooling rack) and place it on the bottom of a roasting pan. Place your meat on top of the rack, and sprinkle the seasoning packet (that comes with the meat) on top of the beef, and sprinkle with a tini bit of salt... I would say about ¼-½ tsp or less. Then fill roasting pan with water up to the bottom of the meat/top of the rack. You only want the water to be touching the very bottom of the meat.
  3. Cook the corned beef in the oven at 325° for 3- 3½ hours.
  4. Once the meat is done, take it out and wrap with tin foil and let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes. You will be able to tell when its done because it should be tender if you stick a fork in it. 
  5. Now for the cabbage... Take the juices from the corned beef and put it into a pot. Chop up your cabbage into long thick strips. Remove the core from the cabbage and toss it in the trash.
  6. You will now want to boil your cabbage in the juices from the corned beef. You will have to add a little extra water. I also added salt to mine for flavor... I would say about 1 Tbsp for the whole pot of water. 
  7. Slice up your corned beef against the grain. Add your cabbage to the plate and top with a little butter, salt, and pepper if you desire. 
Mine turned out amazing, so hopefully it turns out great for you too! 
Thanks for reading! ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daddy's Sunday Pancakes

This is the recipe my dad used to make us all the time when we were younger. EVERY Sunday he would wake us up early and make us pancakes, eggs, and bacon. We get this special syrup from our family back in Maryland. I don't think they sell it anywhere in Utah. It's a shame.. because this is the worlds most amazing syrup.. I love love love it! My grandparents ship it out to us in boxes because we love it so much. It is definitely my favorite thing to top off the amazing pancakes. Anyways... the recipe! ☺ Ingredients: • 4 cups of flour • 6 tsp baking powder • 1 tsp salt • 2 Tbsp sugar • 4 eggs • 2 ½ cups of milk Instructions: 1. Mix everything together 2. Cook on a skillet or frying pan (whatever works) until bubbly. I find that cooking it on medium heat works best. And as soon as it is getting pretty bubbly just flip it! 3. Top it off with whatever pancake stuff you like and then eat! ENJOY! thanks for reading!

Lemon Sugar Cookies

These little babies are slightly crispy on the outside, perfectly sweet, and are almost under baked in the middle, so it tastes like they are filled. SO GOOD! My family went crazy for these. The whole batch was gone within minutes. Today I decided that it might be fun to use our new clover cookie cutters for St. Patricks day. I couldn't find a sugar cookie recipe that I liked online, so I made up my own... and in the process discovered an AMAZING way to make lemon sugar cookies. These little babies are amazing. Now, this recipe can also be used as a roll out recipe for cookie cutters. But with the leftover dough I decided to roll them into balls and then roll them in powdered sugar.. OMG... So.. here is the recipe for both ways to do it. No joke.. you guys will love these. Makes about 40..ish cookies Ingredients: 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks) 1 ½ cups granulated sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract Zest from one lemon Juice from half of a lemon  3 ½ ...