Skip to main content

Cheesy Knot Rolls


I served these delicious cheesy knot rolls with corned beef and cabbage. You can find the recipe for that here http://cookingforthemonster.blogspot.com/2014/03/corned-beef-and-cabbage.html
I decided to try making some cheesy "Celtic Knot" rolls with our St. Pattys day dinner. And they turned out amazing! I took a basic bread dough recipe that I use and turned it into something fantastic.

So.. here ya go
Makes about 8 large knot rolls

Ingredients:

  • 6 cups of flour
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 packets of quick rise yeast
  • 2 Tbsp softened butter
  • 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese + extra for sprinkling
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1 egg white
  • 1Tbsp water
Instructions:
  1. Mix together 2 cups of flour, your yeast, and your 2 cups of warm water. Quickly mix it together and let it rise for 5-8 minutes. 
  2. Now mix together the rest of your 4 cups of flour, your salt, and your 1 cup of cheese. Whisk or fork through it until its all mixed and nice and soft with no lumps. 
  3. Add your softened butter to the yeast mixture and turn on your mixer with the paddle/kneading tool. Now at about a cup at a time add the rest of your flour/cheese mixture until mix pulls away from the sides and is well incorporated. 
  4. Knead the dough on a floured surface just to make sure its mixed well, for no longer than 5 minutes. You don't want your dough to get too tough. It will make the bread very dense. 
  5. Now place your dough in a bowl with your 1 Tbsp of oil on top, so it doesn't dry out. Put a towel over the bowl and let your dough rise for an hour. 
  6. Once your dough has risen, punch it down, and then take your dough out of the bowl and separate it into 8 sections. If you need to knead it a little on a floured surface you can.
  7. Now.. Roll out each section into a long rope and then tie it in a knot. Once you have the knot, take one end of the dough and pull it over top and into the hole and one end under and up through the hole and pinch the two pieces together. Now place it on your baking sheet. I learned how to do this from this video on YouTube ( http://youtu.be/tU9I1nYS60E )
  8.  Once you have all your rolls beautifully (or in my case imperfectly) set up on your baking sheet... make an egg wash with your egg white and water.. and brush it on the buns. Then sprinkle on the extra cheese.
  9. Now let them rise for about 35 minutes and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown on top.
  10. Let them cool for a bit and enjoy!
Everyone loved these in my family. They are nice and soft in the middle and cheesy on the top. I hope you love them as much as we all did.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daddy's Sunday Pancakes

This is the recipe my dad used to make us all the time when we were younger. EVERY Sunday he would wake us up early and make us pancakes, eggs, and bacon. We get this special syrup from our family back in Maryland. I don't think they sell it anywhere in Utah. It's a shame.. because this is the worlds most amazing syrup.. I love love love it! My grandparents ship it out to us in boxes because we love it so much. It is definitely my favorite thing to top off the amazing pancakes. Anyways... the recipe! ☺ Ingredients: • 4 cups of flour • 6 tsp baking powder • 1 tsp salt • 2 Tbsp sugar • 4 eggs • 2 ½ cups of milk Instructions: 1. Mix everything together 2. Cook on a skillet or frying pan (whatever works) until bubbly. I find that cooking it on medium heat works best. And as soon as it is getting pretty bubbly just flip it! 3. Top it off with whatever pancake stuff you like and then eat! ENJOY! thanks for reading!

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Well, its St. Patricks day... so I decided to try my hand at making corned beef and cabbage. I have never made it before but I was very very pleasently surprised with how it turned out. Corned beef is one of my husbands absolute favorite foods, and he says the way I cooked it was the best he has ever had. I also liked it, especially for my first time ever eating it. Here is how its done! Ingredients: Package of corned beef (you can get it at Walmart, Harmons, Smiths, most grocery stores) Salt Water 1 head of cabbage Instructions: (Now to make your own corned beef from scratch it literally takes 7-10 days to cure.. so that is why I (and most people) buy it packaged.) Take your corned beef and trim off a little bit of the fat on top. Me and my husband both have texture issues.. and it didn't seem to affect how moist the meat was. And honestly you can skip this step if it seems like too much of a pain, all the fat dissolved off anyways. Take a rack (I used a co...

Lemon Sugar Cookies

These little babies are slightly crispy on the outside, perfectly sweet, and are almost under baked in the middle, so it tastes like they are filled. SO GOOD! My family went crazy for these. The whole batch was gone within minutes. Today I decided that it might be fun to use our new clover cookie cutters for St. Patricks day. I couldn't find a sugar cookie recipe that I liked online, so I made up my own... and in the process discovered an AMAZING way to make lemon sugar cookies. These little babies are amazing. Now, this recipe can also be used as a roll out recipe for cookie cutters. But with the leftover dough I decided to roll them into balls and then roll them in powdered sugar.. OMG... So.. here is the recipe for both ways to do it. No joke.. you guys will love these. Makes about 40..ish cookies Ingredients: 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks) 1 ½ cups granulated sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract Zest from one lemon Juice from half of a lemon  3 ½ ...