Skip to main content

Cheesy Knot Rolls


I served these delicious cheesy knot rolls with corned beef and cabbage. You can find the recipe for that here http://cookingforthemonster.blogspot.com/2014/03/corned-beef-and-cabbage.html
I decided to try making some cheesy "Celtic Knot" rolls with our St. Pattys day dinner. And they turned out amazing! I took a basic bread dough recipe that I use and turned it into something fantastic.

So.. here ya go
Makes about 8 large knot rolls

Ingredients:

  • 6 cups of flour
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 packets of quick rise yeast
  • 2 Tbsp softened butter
  • 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese + extra for sprinkling
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1 egg white
  • 1Tbsp water
Instructions:
  1. Mix together 2 cups of flour, your yeast, and your 2 cups of warm water. Quickly mix it together and let it rise for 5-8 minutes. 
  2. Now mix together the rest of your 4 cups of flour, your salt, and your 1 cup of cheese. Whisk or fork through it until its all mixed and nice and soft with no lumps. 
  3. Add your softened butter to the yeast mixture and turn on your mixer with the paddle/kneading tool. Now at about a cup at a time add the rest of your flour/cheese mixture until mix pulls away from the sides and is well incorporated. 
  4. Knead the dough on a floured surface just to make sure its mixed well, for no longer than 5 minutes. You don't want your dough to get too tough. It will make the bread very dense. 
  5. Now place your dough in a bowl with your 1 Tbsp of oil on top, so it doesn't dry out. Put a towel over the bowl and let your dough rise for an hour. 
  6. Once your dough has risen, punch it down, and then take your dough out of the bowl and separate it into 8 sections. If you need to knead it a little on a floured surface you can.
  7. Now.. Roll out each section into a long rope and then tie it in a knot. Once you have the knot, take one end of the dough and pull it over top and into the hole and one end under and up through the hole and pinch the two pieces together. Now place it on your baking sheet. I learned how to do this from this video on YouTube ( http://youtu.be/tU9I1nYS60E )
  8.  Once you have all your rolls beautifully (or in my case imperfectly) set up on your baking sheet... make an egg wash with your egg white and water.. and brush it on the buns. Then sprinkle on the extra cheese.
  9. Now let them rise for about 35 minutes and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown on top.
  10. Let them cool for a bit and enjoy!
Everyone loved these in my family. They are nice and soft in the middle and cheesy on the top. I hope you love them as much as we all did.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hug in the Middle Brownie Bites!

I came up with this recipe yesterday. I was in the mood for something sweet and chocolaty. I am pretty proud of how this turned out. My whole family DEVOURED them.. I went to grab one an hour after I made them and the whole plate was gone. Yummy chewy brownie on the outside, and delicious melted Hershey hug in the middle. Yes I know .. it isn't the "cleanest" job I have ever done.. sorry This should make 24 if you are using your average mini muffin tin. Ingredients: 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 cup white sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs 1/2 cup all purpose flour 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/4 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 24 Hersheys hugs Instructions: Preheat oven to 350°. Mix all ingredients except for Hersheys hugs together. Mix until very well incorporated. (I know this probably isn't the proper way.,. sorry) Grease your mini muffin tin Fill each spot up almost to the top with your brownie mix. I put

Mama's Chicken Pasta Salad

Mama's Chicken Pasta Salad... seriously the best chicken pasta salad EVER! mmmmmm *drool* I just ate 2 plates of this Sweet and crunchy red bell pepper moist chicken yummy black olives who doesn't like pasta? mayo and sour cream to make it thick and delicious shredded sharp cheddar for a good bite peas for a sweet pop of flavor seasoned to perfection!  mix it mix it mix it all up This is perfect for when the weather is hot and you need something nice to cool you down. This is also the perfect type of thing to bring to a pot-luck. Everyone loves this dish. Ingredients: 1 red bell pepper chopped up 3 medium sized chicken breasts cubed  1/2 can of jumbo black olives sliced up 1/2 pound (half regular sized box) bow-tie pasta 8 oz. sour cream  3/4 cup mayonnaise 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar 1/2 cup to 1 cup frozen peas (depends on how much you like peas.. I usually end up somewhere in the middle. I honestly just dump

Low Calorie Chicken Avocado Salad Lettuce Wrap 200 calories!

So I have been dieting again... We are going on a cruise in November.. and I want to look as awesome as possible. So I have been browsing Pinterest and the rest of the internet trying to find interesting things to eat that aren't high in calories. I happened to find a picture of an avocado chicken salad in a lettuce wrap... and it sounded so good I went to click on the link on Pinterest.. and just my luck.. the link was dead. So I went out to the store and bought some stuff that I thought would taste good together to make it myself. And oh boy did it taste good!!! Okay.. so here is how you make this deliciousness :D Makes 4 servings: only 200 calories for one! Ingredients: -3 chicken breast tenderloins (320 calories) -2 avocados (460 calories) -1 red bell pepper (15 calories) -1 tsp onion powder -1 tsp garlic powder -1 tsp white pepper -1 tsp chicken bullion powder (optional) -Salt and Pepper to taste -4 large romain leaves or whatever large leaf of lettuce you wan